This table shows how the conferences compare in overall talent level. The lower number the better under each year. Green indicates a talent increase. Red indicates a talent decrease.
2021 WRC and Conference Talent Level
- The SEC is still the most talented conference by a gigantic margin. However…
- It appears that the SEC reached peak talent level in 2016 and dealt with 3 straight years of declining talent before the combined 0.6 increase in 2020 and 2021.
- The SEC still has a gigantic net increase (of 10.2) since the SEC Takeover of 2006.
- The Big 10 has increased its overall talent level in 7 straight years.
- The Pac 12 has seen its talent level decrease in 5 straight years.
- The ACC is still down 7.4 from where they were in 2006, even with expansion and including Notre Dame. The SEC Takeover of 2006 hurt the ACC more than any other conference.
- The Big 12 was 3rd in 2013, but 8 years later, is 5th and still trending downwards.
- If you look at the bottom row above, you can see that the talent distribution between the Power 5 conferences and everybody else has been holding steady since 2016.